Temporary Marching Camp

Warcop, Sandford, Cumbria

NGRef: NY7416
OSMap: LR91
Type: Temporary Marching Camp
Roads
See VERTERIS (Brough, Cumbria)

N.G.REFDIMENSIONSAREADESCRIPTION
NY740167164 x 197 ft
(50 x 60 m)
¾ acre
(0.3 ha)
This small camp with well-rounded corners lies close beside the northern verge of the main Roman road between Eburacum (York) and Luguvalium (Carlisle), about 3½ miles (5.5 km) NW of the fort at Verteris (Brough). There are gateways placed centrally in the shorter NW & SE sides, though another gap placed centrally in the NE side may not be a gate. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)
See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
Roman Camps in England - The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);

GoTop

This page was last modified: