NGRef: NX7364
OSMap: LR83/84
Type: 6 Marching Camps
Roads
See Lovcovivm (Glenlochar, Dumfries & Galloway)

The Glenlochar Marching Camps

These camps probably represent a build up of Roman military in preparation for campaigns conducted against the Novantae tribe of the Galloway Peninsula, possibly during the fifth campaign season of governor Gnaeus Julius Agricola c.a.d.81. It is possible, however, that at least one of these camps was constructed during the Antonine period, at the same time the nearby fort underwent reconstruction.

N.G.RefDimensionsAreaDescription
Glenlochar Camp 1
NX73641,450 x 1,000 ft
(442 x 305 m)
33¼ acres
(13.5 ha)
This large camp lies to the south-east of the fort.
Glenlochar Camp 2
NX7364750 x 200 ft
(229 x 61 m)
c.3½ acres
(c.1.4 ha)
Apparently an annexe to Camp #1.
Glenlochar Camp 3
NX73641,050 x 900 ft
(320 x 274 m)
c.21¾ acres
(c.8.8 ha)
This large camp lies east of the fort.
Glenlochar Camp 4
NX7364? ft
(? m)
? acres
(? ha)
Camp known only from parts of 3 sides and 2 of its angles.
Glenlochar Camp 5
NX7364? ft
(? m)
? acres
(? ha)
Only fragmentary remains.
Glenlochar Camp 6
NX7364? ft
(? m)
? acres
(? ha)
Remains only fragmentary.

There is another suspected Roman marching camp a little to the south-east at Dalbeattie.

See: Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.60-1;
Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) pp.79/80.