Roman Fortlet & Camps

Durisdeer, Nithsdale, Dumfries & Galloway

NGRef: NS9004
OSMap: LR78
Type: Antonine Fortlet, 2 Flavian Camps.
Roads
NNE (11) to Crawford (Strathclyde)
SSW (4) to Drumlanrig (Dumfries & Galloway)

The Durisdeer Fortlet

This small rectangular fortlet measures only 105 x 60 feet (c.32 x 18.3 m) and covers an area of 700 square yards (c.585m²). The interior of the fortlet possibly housed two centuriae or barrack-blocks, each about 80 feet (c.24m) long.

The Temporary Marching Camps

There are two superimposed marching camps situated a little to the south-west of the fortlet, about a third of a mile S of Durisdeer church, a legion-sized camp of about 50 or so acres and another, smaller camp of about 15¼ acres, both of which have been dated to the Flavian period. Metal-detecting conducted in 1993 brought to light surface finds consisting of an enamelled stud and a disc brooch, the first to be reported from the area.

N.G.REFDIMENSIONSAREADESCRIPTION
Durisdeer Camp 1
NS8903c.1,500 x 1,500 ft?
(c.457 x 457 m?)
c.51 acres?
(c.21 ha?)
The outline of this camp is incompletely recorded. Camp #2 lies wholly within its perimeter.
Durisdeer Camp 2
NS8903830 x 800 ft
(253 x 244 m)
15¼ acres
(6.16 ha)
Lying wholly with the perimeter of Camp #1, a large proportion of the defensive circuit of this camp is known, allowing a good estimate of its original dimensions. There are gateways protected by tutulus outworks placed centrally in both the NW and the SE sides.
See Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.59/60;
Britannia v (1974) p.152 table.V;
Britannia xxv (1994) p.259.

GoTop

This page was last modified: