LArrow RArrow

Cohors Quartae Breucorum [Antoninianae]

The Fourth Cohort of (Antonine's Own) Breuci

Cohors IV Breucorum were a five-hundred strong infantry regiment originally levied from amongst the Breuci tribe of Pannonia Inferior, natives of the Bosna valley in north-eastern Bosnia-Herzegovina. They were the first attested garrison unit at Ebchester, identified from the early-third century altar to Minerva the Roman war goddess (RIB 1101; altarstone; AD213-22) and also on an undated but probably contemporary building inscription (RIB 1113). An inscription from Bowes in Durham attributed to Cohors IIII Frisiavonum may actually belong to this unit.

  1. Burn 100; CIL XVI.65 military diploma dated: July 17th AD122.
  2. L'Année Épigraphique 1997.1779b diploma dated c.AD126.
  3. Bowes? (RIB 739 AD130-133).
  4. Ebchester (RIB 1101 altar, dated: AD213-222; 1113).